In 2006, the Department of Communication at the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana established an Alumni Advisory Council. The Advisory Council is designed to strengthen ties between the department and its accomplished alumni all over the United States.
The overall mission of the Council is to support the research, instructional, and public engagement activities of the Department. Among its activities, the Council:
- provides advice and counsel at the request of the Department in matters relating to the preparation of students to enter the communication field and profession
- serves as a liaison for the Department's current students to the professional world
- helps generate the human and material resources necessary to attain the goals and objectives of the department.
The Advisory Council is comprised of a select group that represents the diversity, the breadth of occupational careers, and the varied accomplishments of Communication alumni. Individuals are appointed to serve on the Council by invitation only. Council members typically serve a period of two years, with the possibility of an additional term at the request of the department.
The current members of the Council are:
- Susan Berardi, (BA, 92; Labor Relations MA, 93), Education Consultant
- Amy Best (BA, 1989), Exelon
- Brent Centlivre (BA, 95), Disney Institute
- Ben Haglund, (BA, 83; MA, 85; JD 86), Day Pitney
- Angie Hatfield Marker (BA, 2003), Community Foundation of East Central Illinois
- Sarah Hartwell (BA, 2015; MA in LER, 2016), Nestlé
- Mark Hersh (BA, 80), Reed Smith LLP
- Richard Hunsaker (BA, 82 MA 83), Heyl, Royster, Voelker & Allen, P.C.
- Doug Hurst, (BA, 83), St. Louis Community College-Meramec
- JD Miller, (BA, 97; MA, 98; PhD 02), Work Place Systems
- Deborah Parker, (BA, 93; MA 95), Leadership and Change Consultant
- Mary Van Hoozer (BA, 2003; MS, 2012), SUNRx