In 2006, the Department of Communication at the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana established an Alumni Advisory Board. The Advisory Board is designed to strengthen ties between the department and its accomplished alumni all over the United States.
The overall mission of the Board is to support the research, instructional, and public engagement activities of the Department. Among its activities, the Board:
- provides advice and counsel at the request of the Department in matters relating to the preparation of students to enter the communication field and profession
- serves as a liaison for the Department's current students to the professional world
- helps generate the human and material resources necessary to attain the goals and objectives of the department.
The Advisory Board is comprised of a select group that represents the diversity, the breadth of occupational careers, and the varied accomplishments of Communication alumni. Individuals are appointed to serve on the Board by invitation only. Board members typically serve a period of two years, with the possibility of an additional term at the request of the department.
The current members of the Board are:
- Susan Berardi, (BA, 92; Labor Relations MA, 93) Education Consultant
- Brent Centlivre, (BA, 95) Disney Institute
- Ben Haglund, (BA, 83; MA, 85; JD 86) Day Pitney
- Mark Hersh (BA, 80) Reed Smith LLP
- Doug Hurst, (BA, 83) St. Louis Community College-Meramec
- JD Miller, (BA, 97; MA, 98; PhD 02) Work Place Systems
- Deborah Parker, (BA, 93; MA 95) McDonalds Corporation
- Jake Parrillo, (BA, 00) Edelman